Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Resignation

As of 3:15 this afternoon, I have resigned from my third job in 17 months. That's got to be worth some sort of weird recognition. Job 1 was a no-brainer. 10-12 hour days, piles of paperwork and no progress made it easy to leave. Job 2 was a short run. The work was pretty cut and dry. The supervisors were great. When Job 3 dropped out of the sky, Job 2 had to go. This most recent position was tailor-made for me. Everything I had majored in at college and grad-school prepared me for it.

Catholic High School Theatre Teacher!

I went to Catholic School and studied theatre, so why not? It wasn't an easy transition - my predecessor had been here for 15 years and his exit was messy. I had to prove myself to a lot of people. 10-12 hour days again were the norm. Round trip is 90 miles. But I made it through the season with a lot of help from students, parents and staff alike. This school is a really, really good place to work.

However fulfilling the job has been, I have missed out a lot on life at home. The past year has been a blur and I have been absent from a lot of my children's development. My wife has been more patient than I have deserved and now it is time to get back to the basics of "working to live". I think I've got that term down correctly.

The 4th job in 19 months begins in June. Pay is not great. I can walk to the building if I choose. I get to hang up funky posters in my office if I choose! I'll be working for the arts again. Most importantly - I've got another chance to get pack to parenting and "husbanding".

2 comments:

PreppyGirl said...

Part of me feels horrible. I know how much you like your job. But the other part of me misses you so it is a relief.

At least you chose to leave (unlike your predecessor who got the boot!) Exit stage left, the arts council awaits!

3carnations said...

Think of how much you'll save on gas!

I'm happy for all of you. My hubby works a couple miles away, and I work 1 mile away, and our son's daycare is a quarter mile from our house. Somehow with all those conveniences, it STILL feels like we don't have enough time with each other each evening, so it's hard to imagine what it's been like for you and your family.

Enjoy your new found family time!