Friday, May 04, 2007

Silver Screen

Wow! A lot of blogging folks seem to be on a movie kick. I'll chime in here.

The family will be packing in the "man"ivan soon to head over to the Park 60 Drive In. At dusk, we'll be watching "Spiderman 3", munching on popcorn and trying to keep the kids from killing each other. I love the drive-in, because we can all see a movie together without GalootJr. making a run for the exits before the first reel is over.

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Hopefully it will be entertaining. What follows are my favorite super hero movies. In no particular order...
  1. Spiderman 2 - Perfect balance of humor, hubris and action. This one managed to be a Sam Raimi movie, while preserving the integrity of Peter Parker.
  2. X-Men - Not bad for an "origin" story. Wolverine's entrance was memorable.
  3. X-Men 2 - Nightcrawler was well realized here. Shame the controls were turned over to Brett Ratner for number 3.
  4. Superman - Still rocks my world after almost 30 years. I loved Christopher Reeves' take on the character.
  5. Blade - Thoroughly entertaining bit of vampire killing. Wesley Snipes owned the character.
  6. Superman 2 - Richard Donner was asked to leave production after much of this one was in the can. I'd like to see his cut that is available on DVD.
  7. Batman Begins - Very, very cool! Almost perfect cast all-around.
  8. Batman - I liked the music, the sets and the costumes. I'm still not crazy about Michael Keaton though. And Jack Nicholson was good, not great.
  9. Ghost World - Based on a graphic novel about two teens facing life after high school graduation. Funny. Sad. Quirky.

5 comments:

Momma Hen said...

I loved the X-Men movies (all of them) and all the Spiderman. I am looking forward to seeing Spidey 3.

HOT n TAKIN said...

I love the drive-ins. I have to drive into Ohio or go to lake cumberland though. I haven't been able to go to one since the boys were born. The last movie I saw at the drive in was Charlies Angels and for the life of me I can't remember what the other movie was. Whats more fun than honking your horn and flashing your lights when the movie screws up. lol The boys are going to love it. The best way to go is in a pickup. Take two lounge chairs put them in the back with your cooler and a blanket. If you get there early enough before the movie starts you can catch the entertainment of people backing their vans in and stacking their pillows and positioning there blow up rafts. Watching them yell at each when their trying to get arranged in a comfortable position is hilarious.

-R- said...

I just saw Spiderman 3 at the Imax theater today. I thought it was good. H loved it.

princess slea said...

batman begins was awesome, loved everything about it with one exception ~ the terrible, awful, horrible "actress",katie holmes.

i wouldn't classify Ghost World as a superhero movie, was it more superheroish in the comic? i loved the movie though.

I must add that I was super excited about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but...it didn't deliver. darnit.

to your list i have to add:
the incredibles
the crow (sentimental attachments)

Anonymous said...

I think it's going to be awhile before Steve and I make it to the movies. I'd love a review of SM3.

P.S. I printed off your get-well comments and took them to Steve at the hospital. Your note gave him a big smile.