Saturday, May 13, 2006

The "F" Words

PreppyGirl has assigned a letter to me. I'm supposed to write about 10 words beginning with "F". Here goes...

Fantastic - I use this word often at work. The character, Dougal, from "Father Ted" also used it often, drawing it out a bit - "Fannnntastic!"

Froaderick - From "Young Frankenstein"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Igor: Dr. Frankenstein...
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."
Igor: You're putting me on.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No..."Frederick."
Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronensteen."
Igor: I see.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.
[He pronounces it ee-gor]
Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."
Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?

Foxy This is one I remember being carried over from the seventies into the early eighties. I think I used it as a child. Now it has been revived as a nod to Pam Grier's titular character. Beyonce's Foxy Cleopatra characterization in Austin Power: Goldmember was not fantastic.

Flip - A nickname given to some boys and men by saying "Phillip" really fast. I went to high school with Flip Freihoffer and to grad school with Flip Schultz.
Forgiveness - Something I don't ask enough for from my wife.

Flick - An ant in "A Bug's Life" and the hapless, pole-licking buddy in "A Christmas Story"

Fluffernutter I like this way this word sounds. What is this stuff?

Frappucino - Man, these things are tasty! When I was in Scotland last summer, Starbucks chains were the only stores that made anything remotely like iced coffee. I spent a lot of pounds on them.

Flying (Burrito Brothers) - The forefathers of alternative country. Gram Parson's Fallen Angels, The Eagles and Desert Rose Band all had links to this group.

Fritter - Preferably an apple fritter. The local grocer's bakery sells them the size of my fist. Yum.

2 comments:

PreppyGirl said...

For the record, a Fluffernutter is a marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter sandwich. Mmmmmm...

PreppyGirl said...

FRA-JEEL-AY would've been good too. Flick Lives!