Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

Well, it has been a great one so far! Preppygirl II woke me up with a card that had pictures she had drawn. One was of herself as a baby, the other one was of Galoot Jr. on fire. Not sure how I feel about that one.

There was also a hand-written I.O.U. from Preppygirl about my forthcoming gift – Roadhouse Special Edition DVD! I can’t wait. As I ate a Father’s Day breakfast at Aldo’s diner with the family and father-in-law, the Silver Fox, I reminisced about the year that “Roadhouse” came out, 1989…

What a year. I finished my Junior year of high school and prepared for Senior year by beginning the growth of my first and last mullet. That summer also featured my best summer job ever – usher and snack seller at Loew’s Cinemas in Florence, Kentucky.

It was quite a season for film. At our theater alone, we screened “The Abyss”, “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”, “Lethal Weapon 2” and “When Harry Met Sally”. The highlight for me was selling concessions to Ozzy Osbourne and his entourage on a sleepy Sunday evening in August. What a thrill! He had come out to see Weird Al’s “UHF”. None of the mostly adult patrons recognized him. However, after a break-time phone call to friend Kenny, a dozen or so teens were outside to greet the legend as he left early.

Showcase Cinemas in Erlanger also had some winners too, including “Batman” and “Weekend At Bernie’s” (itself a DVD gift to the Silver Fox from Preppygirl). Sadly, Showcase also screened “Star Trek V” and “Ghostbusters 2”.

Anyway, I must be going to do some housework. I kind of relaxed yesterday, so I need to make up for lost time. So, if you’re thinking of popping in a movie on this humid summer day, look no further than 1989 for your entertainment. (“Beaches” and “Uncle Buck” are also perfectly fine movies from that year.)

2 comments:

princess slea said...

Ah, 1989...how about "Say Anything" and "Parenthood"?

PreppyGirl said...

1989! My senior year. Memories...