Thursday, November 23, 2006

We've Only Just Begun

When I was growing up, the Friday morning after Thanksgiving always found my mother following the same routine. First she'd put on an 8 track of the Nat King Cole Christmas album, then the decorations would begin to go up. I eventually bought her a cassette of the album, but not a CD. I should burn a copy of ours for her...

I love holiday tunes and I'd like to share with you, my perfect holiday mix:

1. The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole - As soon as those strings come in, you know the season has started.
2. Happy Holidays by Peggy Lee - Jazzy and bouncy.
3. Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams - I'm a sucker for his old Christmas specials back when Donny Osmond and his brothers had more teeth than hair.
4. Christmas In Hollis by Run D.M.C. - A kick ass refrain - "Rhymes so loud and proud you hear it! It's Christmas time and we've got the spirit!"
5. Jingle Bell Rock by Brenda Lee - The Hall and Oates version is pretty good too.
6. Fairytale of New York - by The Pogues and Kirsty Maccoll. Darkly humorous (He: "You're an old slut on junk. Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed." She - "You scumbag you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot. Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last!") and tear-jerking (She - "You took my dreams from me, when I first found you." He - "I kept them with me babe, and put them with my own. Can't make it all alone, I've built my dreams around you.")
7. Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon and "Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney. Imagine what kind of Christmas music they could have done together.
8. "White Christmas" by Etta James. If Bing was the king with his version, Etta is certainly the queen. Her's is underlaid by heavy, downbeat blues and her prologue about being in L.A. instead of the north is a great start.
9. Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. Such a strange but beautiful collaboration. The first time I saw the video, I thought, WTF!

9 comments:

princess slea said...

i just purchased a new xmas cd yesterday. it's a collection of elton john's favorite xmas songs. i bought it because it has a KateBush song on it and i love her voice (i know, she is an aquired taste). i think i'll dig it out of the bag and listen to it right now.

3carnations said...

How about the BNL/Sarah McLachlan version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen? I could have that song in my head for a month and I wouldn't mind...

PreppyGirl said...

Me loves me some Vince Guaraldi.

Galoot said...

PSlea - There is some weird Kate Bush out there.

3C - Haven't heard that version, but I'll look it up.

PGirl - #10 "Christmas Time Is Here" by Mr. Guaraldi and a bunch of kids.

-R- said...

I have never heard of #4. I will have to look for it on iTunes!

My word verification is "zvvjew" which I think is funny for a Christmas post. =)

Tim said...

Lou Rawls "little drummer boy" is by far the best take on this song WOW Christmas #2 cd

Galoot said...

r - You will "represent" once you've heard it.

Mick - I remember you playing that for me. Good tune. I'm dissapointed that you have a "Wow" CD to begin with. I hope you won it in a contest or killed a hobo for it. If you purchased it - you're dead to me!

Tim said...

I grabbed it off a hooker I rolled a few years back.

Traci McCush said...

Throw in that Christmas song by the DOnna's and you got yourself a Target holiday CD ready to be played until the wee hours.

And I thought I was the only Kate BUsh fan.....