Both In Java & R have posted their recollections of these songs from the nineties. Let's see, I started the decade as a high school senior and ended it engaged and about to be married. Should be fun...
01. Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – I remember picking up the disc on the same day I bought Uncle Tupelo's "Still Feel Gone". I probably got them both at Streetside Records in Columbia, Missouri. I think "Polly" was my favorite song, but despite it's constant video airings on MTV, I wouldn't skip this track.
02. U2 “One” – I wasn't crazy about this song, or much of U2's output in this decade. Sadly, I remember the Ben Stiller Show on Fox spoofing the video. The band (Stiller as Bono, Bob Odenkirk as Larry Mullen Jr. and Andy Dick as Adam Clayton) hawked "Lucky Clovers" cereal.
03. Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way" - It took my future wife to recognize a pretty good pop song. Maybe they didn't suck that bad.
04. Whitney Houston “I Will Always Love You” – I pretty much switched the stations when this came on.
05. Madonna “Vogue” – Good song. Good video. Good lord Madonna never looked so good.
06. Sir Mix-A-Lot “Baby Got Back” – I remember a lot of people being turned on to hip-hop with this one. In a bad way.
07. Britney Spears “…Baby One More Time” - This was the last video where she wore clothes that didn't accentuate the weirder parts of her body (a linebacker's neck, for instance).
08. TLC “Waterfalls” – How many of you got tested for H.I.V. after seeing this video. Catchy tune about catching sickness.
9. R.E.M. “Losing My Religion” – I skipped "Out of Time" and picked up again with "Automatic For The People". Probably inspired a lot of folks to try mandolin.
10. Sinéad O’Connor “Nothing Compares 2 U” – Really good song. Compelling video.
11. Pearl Jam “Jeremy” – I think Jeremy shot himself and not the rest of his class. What do you think?
12. Alanis Morissette “You Oughta Know” – I remember girls in grad school at parties, huddling up to sing along when this came on. Kind of like they used to when the Violent Femmes would come on at a party. Ironically, with more violent undertones.
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg) “Nuthin’ but a “G” Thang” – I probably remember this one because of the sample and not what they did with it.
14. Mariah Carey “Vision of Love” – Last pop record I bought for myself. If she had married me, she would have been Mariah Barry.
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers “Under the Bridge” – Really good song. I dare say I like their introspective stuff more than their white-boy rap, goofball shit.
16. MC Hammer “U Can’t Touch This” – Another tune that turned white kids onto "hip-hop"
17. Destiny’s Child “Say My Name” - I have no recollection of this song. Beyonce is a hack.
18. Metallica “Enter Sandman” - Overplayed. Way overplayed. Brought them a new audience. Good for them.
19. Beastie Boys “Sabotage” - A video that MTV overplayed that I loved! Good song. Lots of moshers emerged from the crowd at Lollapalooza 1994 for this one.
20. Hanson “MMMBop” - Crap.
21. Celine Dion “My Heart Will Go On” - Shit.
22. Beck “Loser” - The shit.
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue “Whatta Man” - The shiznit.
24. House of Pain “Jump Around” - Good for getting the college kids out on the dance floor.
25. Soundgarden “Black Hole Sun” - Underrated band for sure. These fellas got lumped in with the Seattle sound. They were better than a label. I mean, listen to their stuff..